Deep Dish Kale & Bacon Bowl
Bacon & Caramelized onion Bowl
I love experimenting & throwing new flavors together, so when I gave this a go with 4 ingredients & it turned out well, I was thrilled!
Kale is the 'King of The Green Family' when it comes to nutritional value - 1 cup of kale has more Vitamin C than 1 orange! Its known to reduce cholesterol and is full of antioxidants. I use Kale as a base to many meals, replacing rice (throw curry on-top of it) or pasta (throw Bolognese on-top of it) or even just simply in a salad, steamed or raw. Or how about in your morning smoothie!
The simply steamed kale in this recipe needs some good strong flavors to accompany it, and so the salty bacon, sweetness of the caramelized red onions & tartness of the white wine mushrooms work perfectly! Remember the bacon is very salty so be careful when seasoning - I only seasoned with pepper.
Ingredients: (Serves 2 adults)
- 1 pack (250g) back bacon - chopped up (I prefer back bacon as its less fatty & lower in carbs)
- 1 small tub white button mushrooms - chopped (about 12 small mushrooms)
- 1 medium red onion - sliced
- Olive Oil
- 1 tbl sp butter
- 1 bag of kale (remember it shrinks slightly when steamed)
- Pepper to taste
- A splash of white wine (about 3 tbl spoons)
- Get your kale steaming (try not to boil the kale, as it loses a lot of its nutritional value)
- In a large pan, on high heat, dry fry the bacon until golden brown (no oil as the bacon is fatty enough)
- Set aside on some kitchen/paper towel to absorb excess oil
- In the same pan (keeping the flavors) turn the heat down to medium & add the butter. Fry the red onions until they are caramelized and soft (adding olive oil along the way if needed)
- Set aside ontop of the bacon
- In the same pan again - heat back to high - add some olive oil & fry your mushrooms seasoned with some pepper.
- As they begin to brown, add the splash of white wine & complete the cooking till mushrooms are soft
- Now that all your ingredients are cooked, build your bowl
- Place the steamed kale in the bowl & add the other 3 ingredients ontop
Enjoy!! This is such a fabulously tasty dinner
Feel free to leave a comment below, id love to hear from you
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can share it with your friends by clicking the Facebook icon below