Simple Chorizo & Tomato Pasta
This is one of my husband's favorite dishes. Even though chorizo can be eaten without being cooked, the flavors are released & enhanced by dry frying - so along with the red pepper & tomatoes, this is a winner every time!
Any short pasta works well for this dish. If you're carb conscious, it is delicious served on a bed of steamed Kale or simply steamed mixed vegetables - the flavor is intense, so you just need a basic accompaniment to make it a meal.
Ingredients: (feeds 3-4 adults)
- 250 grams chorizo sausage
- 1/2 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 can/tin chopped tomatoes (or 4 freshly chopped tomatoes)
- Salt & Pepper
- Pasta of your choice - fresh is possible, quicker to cook & a nicer texture
- Get your pasta of choice on the boil, in salted water. **Don't add oil to water, it prevents the pasta from absorbing flavor once cooked/mixed later.
- In a pan - medium high heat - dry fry the chopped chorizo & red pepper (don't use oil; the chorizo releases its own oil like bacon)
- Fry for about 5 minutes until the peppers are soft & the chorizo has released its oils & browned slightly - releasing an amazing flavor (and taste!)
- Turn down heat to medium low & add the tomatoes
- Simmer for 5-8 minutes to heat the tomatoes through & let the flavors combine
- Season to taste **please go easy on the salt** as chorizo is already salty, so you don't want to overdo it at first, you can always add later
Feel free to leave a comment below, id love to hear from you
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can share it with your friends by clicking the Facebook icon below