Sausage Kale Soup
Sausage, Kale & Red potato Soup
If im honest, im not the hugest fan of soups - but I knew I had to have a go at some, and so this one was born from throwing all my favorite ingredients in a pot, and I love it!! In this I use Italian Sausage meat, Kale & Red potatoes (potatoes cooked separately to avoid making the soup too starchy) - these are 3 of my fav ingredients! Sausage meat has so much flavor, Kale has so much goodness, and red potatoes hold their shape well in soups.
I used chicken stock & milk as the base (the milk adds a little creaminess) but you can use just chicken stock if you wish (choose low salt if you can)
- 400g Italian Sausage Meat (i used a pack of Italian sausages & took meat out casing)
- 60-80g Kale (Kale weighs nothing so this is enough, or you can adjust to your liking)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 10 baby red potatoes (halved so boil quicker)
- 4 cups chicken stock (low salt if possible)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream (or Crème fraîche works well here too)
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs (or just dried oregano if you want)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (add at beginning & end)
- Olive Oil
- Get sausage meat & onion frying in olive oil, in a large pot - season with salt, pepper & herbs.
- While browning meat, get potatoes (halved) on the boil in a medium pot of water - boil these till almost soft when poked with fork about 10-15 min: this way they're easy to cut into soup at end for last 10 minutes cooking.
- Once meat is browned, add the chicken stock, milk & cream - let SIMMER for 20 minutes (do not boil or milk/cream will curdle)
- Add kale, red potatoes (cooked & chopped) & season with salt & pepper to taste
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes to fully soften potatoes & kale
- Serve hot, as is, or with some bread
*This soup is gorgeous heated up the next day for leftovers!
Feel free to leave a comment below, id love to hear from you
If you enjoyed this recipe, you can share it with your friends by clicking the Facebook icon below